HSBC Bank Malta plc
HSBC Bank Malta plc - Quote
|Closing Price (€)||2.380||Change (€)||0.000|
|TWAP (€)||2.380||No. of Trades||5|
|Day's High (€)||2.380||Change (%)||0%|
|Day's Low (€)||2.380||Turnover (shares)||36,700|
|E.P.S (€)||0.201||Shares in issue (000)||291,840|
|P/E Ratio||11.83||Market Cap. (€000)||694,579|
|Gross Div. Yield (%)||6.39||Gross Dividend (€)||0.152|
|NAV per Share (€)||1.449||Indicative Div. Date||April/September|
|Price to NAV (times)||1.640||Dividend Cover (times)||2.040|
|2014 High (€)||2.600||2014 Low (€)||2.350|
HSBC Bank Malta plc - Profile
In June 1999, HSBC Holdings plc acquired 70.03% of the shareholding of the then Mid-Med Bank plc from the Government of Malta for a consideration of €200,559,050. The Bank was subsequently renamed HSBC Bank Malta plc. The remaining 29.97% of the shares remain in the hands of the public.
The origins of HSBC Bank Malta date back to 1882 when the Anglo-Egyptian bank was established. This bank subsequently became Barclays Bank Dominion and Overseas. In 1975, the business of Barclays Bank International Ltd. was taken over by Mid-Med Bank Ltd.
The bank is authorised to carry on the business of banking under the Banking Act, 1994 as a credit institution. It is also an authorised dealer in terms of the Exchange Control Act (Cap.233) and a licensed financial intermediary in terms of the Financial Markets Act, 1990. The bank also holds a Category 3 and a Category 4 Investment Services licence issued by the Malta Financial Services Authority in terms of the Investment Services Act, 1994. These licences authorise the bank to provide both investment services to third parties and trustee or custodian services for collective investment schemes.
HSBC Bank Malta plc has several branches and agencies in Malta and Gozo and offers a diversified range of financial services. Some of the services offered include personal and commercial banking, fund management and administrative services, treasury management, international banking, capital market and investment services, and life assurance.
HSBC Bank Malta plc is a member of the HSBC Group, whose parent company is HSBC Holdings plc. The HSBC Group’s international network comprises more than 6,300 offices in 75 countries and territories in the Asia-Pacific region, Europe, the Americas, the Middle East and North Africa.
The Directors of HSBC Bank Malta plc are: Sonny Portelli (Chairman), Mark Watkinson, Brian Robertson, Philip Farrugia, Philip Farrugia Randon, Charles J. Farrugia, James Dunbar Cousin, John Bonello, Caroline Zammit Testaferrata Moroni Viani and George Brancaleone (Company Secretary).
- HSBC Life Assurance (Malta) Ltd (99.99%): is authorised by the Malta Financial Services Authority to carry on the business of insurance in Malta under the Insurance Business Act, 1998.
- HSBC Global Asset Management (Malta) Ltd (99.99%): acts as the investment management arm of the Bank. It manages a range of domestic and international funds, specialising in the development of structured capital secured investment products, and in the provision of tailor-made discretionary portfolio management services.
- HSBC Securities Services (Malta) Ltd (99.98%): is licensed under the Investment Services Act, 1994 and its main business activity is the provision of fund administration services to proprietary and third party investment funds. It also provides back office support to HSBC Bank Malta plc in the distribution of third party investments funds through the Bank’s network.
- On 10 January 2007 HSBC Bank Malta plc issued €58,234,930 4.6% Bonds 2017. The proceeds from this bond issue were used by HSBC to meet part of its general financing requirements and also forms part of its Additional Own Funds (Tier II capital) in terms of the Own Funds Directive BD/03.
- On 15 September 2008 the Bank issued €30,000,000 5.9% Bonds 2018. The net proceeds from this bond issue were used by HSBC to meet part of its general financing requirements particularly to match its 10-year loans. Moreover, the funds constitute additional own funds (Tier II capital) in terms of the Banking Act to help HSBC maintain its capital ratio above the Group’s benchmark and regulatory requirements.
In 1991, the Government of Malta offered to the general public 6,000,000 ordinary “C” shares (approximately 32.9% of the equity share capital) of a nominal value of €1.1647 each at a price of €3.4941 per share. Mid-Med Bank plc was listed on the Malta Stock Exchange on 27 January 1993.
In December 1994 Mid-Med Bank plc split its shares on a 2-for-1 basis. Following this exercise, the authorized share capital of the Bank of €93,174,936 and the issued share capital of €21,243,885 was composed of 160,000,000 shares and 36,480,000 shares respectively of a nominal value of €0.5823 each.
In March 2005, HSBC Bank Malta plc carried out a 2-for-1 share split. The previous authorised share capital of €93,174,936 divided into 160,000,000 ordinary shares of €0.5823 each were split into 320,000,000 ordinary shares of €0.2912 each. The issued and fully paid up capital of €21,243,885 comprised of 36,480,000 ordinary shares of €0.5823 was split into 72,960,000 ordinary shares of €0.2912 each.
In April 2006, HSBC Bank Malta plc capitalised €53,808,526 from retained earnings and €9,783,368 from other reserves to carry out a 3-for-1 bonus share issue. The bonus share issue resulted in the Bank’s share capital increasing from €21,243,885 to €84,983,808 represented by 291,840,000 shares of a nominal value of €0.2912 each.
In April 2008, following the euro changeover, HSBC Bank Malta plc capitalised €2.6 million from retained earnings in order to round up the nominal value of its ordinary shares from €0.2912 to €0.30 each.
HSBC Bank Malta plc - Financials
|HSBC Bank Malta plc
|HSBC Bank Malta plc
News for HSBC Bank Malta plc
HSBC Malta dividends decline
Interim Directors’ Statement
HSBC Bank Malta seeing gradual improvement in business pipeline
Interim Directors’ Statement
Acquisition of Insurance Policy Book
HSBC dividend up 16% for 2012 financial year
HSBC Bank Malta plc - Downloads
- HSBC Bank Malta plc - Investor Fact Sheet - December 2013 (240.2 KiB, 134 hits)
- HSBC Bank Malta plc - 2012 Annual Report (984.8 KiB, 1,057 hits)
- HSBC Bank Malta plc - Investor Fact Sheet - December 2012 (165.8 KiB, 324 hits)
- HSBC Bank Malta plc - L-Azzjonist - Issue 4 - December 2012 (3.8 MiB, 282 hits)
- HSBC Bank Malta plc - Investor Fact Sheet - June 2012 (187.1 KiB, 523 hits)
- HSBC Bank Malta plc - 2011 Annual Report (1.3 MiB, 632 hits)
- HSBC Bank Malta plc - L-Azzjonist - Issue 3 - March 2012 (1.7 MiB, 979 hits)
- HSBC Bank Malta plc - L-Azzjonist - Issue 2 - August 2011 (1.2 MiB, 773 hits)
- HSBC Bank Malta plc - Investor Fact Sheet (128.7 KiB, 573 hits)
- HSBC Bank Malta plc - 2010 Annual Report (1.1 MiB, 721 hits)
|Shares in Issue:||291,840,000|